Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Culture here too

 John had some culture today,  so did I.


Here is what I saw:

Frink  on the left and Kiff on the right



Both shows were on at the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts
which is this place that you have seen here before: 



This was my Frink drawing 

Frink's Walking Madonna is good, a figure of a woman hurrying along, no child, very unusual, life size.   I believe it is permanently situated in the Close at Salisbury Cathedral.     Her birds are good too as the cover picture of the brochure above.  I don't like a lot else of her work.    I haven't got a picture of the Madonna figure because photography was not allowed.  

Kiff's exhibition was his Sequence series, 195 paintings done over a 30 year period, featuring a mixture of  mythology and everyday life, often in the same painting, all acrylic paintings, mostly on paper and a few later ones on board.   Kiff is not particularly well known and I had not seen his work before.  He was inspired by poetry and fantasy and it grew on me as I worked my way round the 195 paintings and I could see the change as he got older and bolder.    The best painting of all for me was a small self portrait in red and green.  I did one copy of another one,  people at a table which is here and is just what it looked like to me :

 Just to remind you here is the brochure picture again.  His work was sort of primitive and mythical:


The Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts is at the University of East Anglia and I was a student here in the 1970s so I went for a look round for old times sake.  In the rain.     It is one of the 1960s campus universities, and lots of concrete

It is still much the same as it was when I was a student but more buildings now and new faculties,  most of which are medical based subjects . 




Books in the bookshop by alumni of the University, mostly from the creative writing course.  All well known novelists today,



Henry Moore Reclining Figure in the University grounds.  There is  a lake in the distance. 

It was a very wet day here and quite cold.  I forced myself to go out this afternoon to do this.  I was pleased I did.


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar